Monday, July 2, 2012

Quilting - Boys-4, Girls-0


Well, it’s about time I got back to blogging. 

I’ve been sewing a lot of baby quilts this year.  So far it’s Boys – 4 and Girls – 0, but there are still 3 more to go, and at least one of them is going to be a girl. 

So I thought it was time to post some pictures.  I was very surprised to discover I didn’t even take any pictures of two of them once they were completed, and had to go back to the Mom’s who received them to ask for a picture. 

Nowadays I tend to design my own quilts, and play with fabric placement.  It’s amazing what fabric placement can do to change a quilt.   I made this 1st quilt for my sister’s third grandchild.  I started with the focus fabric and designed around it.  


Then, when I needed to create a quilt for a coworker, I found another great focus fabric and started playing with the same pattern, and ended up with a completely different look.  



Interestingly enough, we bought the fabric (yes, Kate helps pick out fabric) without knowing the colors my co-worker had picked for the baby’s room, and it turns out yellow green and brown were exactly what she had selected.

I have also been creating my own pantographs for about two years now.  A pantograph is a pattern I follow when I put a quilt top, batting, and backing together on the quilting frame and sew a design into the quilt.  Here’s a picture of the back of this quilt showing one of my quilting patterns.  I call this one “puzzle pieces”.




More quilts to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment