Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Life - Swimming Lessons - Another Crutch Gone


Yesterday was my first real swim lesson.  It was rather scary, frustrating, exciting, and exhilarating.  There was so much to learn and remember all at the same time.  But, I was able to keep my head in the water and breathe properly even though I found myself holding my breath as long as possible so I didn’t have to go through the process of thinking about blowing out air before it was time to lift my head.  As I said there was so much to learn, and I kept repeating it all in my head as I swam.  Along with learning freestyle, I also learned the breast stroke, though I do need a lot of practice in it.   But, I think I could learn to like that one.

Way back, when I was still a kid, at some point I was given a nose plug to wear in the pool and all of a sudden I wasn’t afraid of putting my head under water.  Well, it became a crutch for me.  I wouldn’t put my head underwater without either the nose plug or a full snorkel mask.   Fast forward to 2012.  I’m taking my swimming lessons very seriously.  So Kate and I went to the gym so I could get some practice in before tomorrow’s class.  I purposely did not bring my nose plug to the pool, even though I did wear it at the lesson yesterday.  For some reason I really wanted to give it up.   It’s amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.  I was so surprised that I didn’t drown, or even get water up my nose.  Sure, I did swallow some pool water in my attempt to not inhale it.  But that was OK.  I was swimming without a nose plug.  It may not seem like a big deal to you.  But it’s impeded me from getting into pools and especially from getting into the deep end.  Of course it is going to take a lot more practice before I’m truly comfortable with it.  But I know I can do it now.  I’ve just not been willing to try before.

Writing this makes it all sound so silly.  But believe me, it wasn’t silly to me. 

And, I’m so glad my honey listens to me and finds ways for me to reach my goal even when I’m not even looking for ways.  This whole “learning to swim” is really a big deal to me.  I used to love the water when I was younger, and I’d like to enjoy it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment